/ Blog / How to Purchase the Right Ceiling Fan
How to Purchase the Right Ceiling Fan7/3/2017
Here is everything you need to know so you can purchase the right ceiling fan for your space, and save on high energy bills this summer!
Here is all the information you need to choose the correct fan for your home, so you can be prepared when you are ready to make a purchase.
Let’s start with the most important factor – Location - where will your fan be installed? This is the first step in selecting the right fan for your space:
Determine if you need a Dry, Damp or Wet Rated fan for your location:
Dry, indoor location:
Choose any fan
Outdoor covered or high-humidity indoor location:
Choose damp or wet-rated fans
Outdoor location likely to make direct contact with water:
Choose a wet rated fan
The size of your room will determine the size of your fan, identified by blade sweep. See this helpful chart below:
The Right Downrod:
- Be sure there is at least 7’ of clearance under your ceiling fan blades. If you have standard 8’ ceilings, make sure the total height of the fan does not exceed 12”.
- Most fans come with a standard 6” downrod, which may work in most 8’ ceiling applications. Many vendors offer “hugger” versions of their fans, without the option of a downrod, so they sit very snug to the ceiling.
- If you have ceilings that are greater than 8’, take a look at the chart below to help guide you in choosing the correct downrod length:
Sloped Ceiling Applications:
- Most fans are equipped with a universal hanging system that can be installed on a vaulted ceiling up to a 30 degree pitch. You can purchase a sloped ceiling accessory if the slope of your ceiling is greater 30 degrees.
- To calculate the slope of you ceiling, see this chart below:
- Ceiling fans with LED light kits have a much longer lifespan, with a rated life of over 30,000 hours.
- Many fans that are being introduced for 2017 have LED dimmable light kits, offering a very durable, long-lasting feature that adds a warm inviting light to any room.
- Up-lights: A unique feature that creates a warm ambient glow by casting indirect light onto the ceiling, offering much less glare than a standard fan light kit.
- Features such as a hand held remote, an energy efficient DC motor, reverse capabilities and multiple speed options all contribute to an extended life of the fan.
Remote Vs. Wall Controls:
- Many vendors offer hand held remotes and even bluetooth capabilities so you can control your fan by your phone.
- Wall controls can be hardwired so you can control the light and speed of your fan from the wall, and not have to worry about misplacing a remote.
- If your fan is installed on a high ceiling, having the option of reversing your fan from a remote will make things much easier in controlling the temperature of a room:
- Having a certified electrician install your fan will greatly reduce your chance of having problems with your fan in the future.
- Ceiling fans need to be properly anchored to an electrical box that’s designed to hold a heavy fixture. When a ceiling fan is not installed correctly, it may be off-balance, creating a clicking noise and causing the motor to work much less efficiently.
- If a certified electrician installs your fan, this keeps your warranty valid and prevents you from damaging your fan due to poor installation.
- Our trained experts can assist you in troubleshooting any issues with your fan over the phone, and order a replacement right away if we determine you have a defective product.
- Buying a fan at your local lighting and fan store gives you many resources that you don’t get from online shopping, especially when you run into any issues with your fan.
- Buying locally gives you the option of easily returning the fan if needed, but having this information at purchase will help make your fan purchase right the first time.
- Having the benefit of seeing the fan on display in a store is will help you select the correct finish on the motor housing, as well as being able to test the quality of the motor and air flow of the fan.
Now that you are armed with all the necessary information you need to choose the right fan for your space, you can shop with confidence and ease. Buying a fan can be an overwhelming purchase, but if made correctly, you will find yourself relaxing at home in the cool breeze of a the perfect fan.
Stay cool this summer and come shop our ceiling fan gallery today - we offer the lowest prices on the market!!